We’re sure you’re all very glad that the weekend is almost upon us, so we’ll keep today’s post short so you can get on with enjoying your time off.
After a busy Monday to Friday, sometimes the last thing we feel like doing on the weekend is slaving over the stove. the lovely co. thinks homemade soups are a winter staple. Not only are they quick and easy to cook but you can also make something hearty and delicious out of just a few different types of vegetables. We’ve been making lots of soup lately and freezing it for those nights when we just don’t feel like cooking.
Our latest winter warmer is a potato and broccoli soup with crunchy bacon bits. Try it when you’re looking for an easy winter warmer. Let us know what your favourite winter soups are!
Yummy Potato and Broccoli Soup with Crunchy Bacon (serves 6)
3 large potatoes, washed and peeled
1 head of broccoli
1 medium onion
1/2 green capsicum
3 rashers bacon, rind removed, sliced
2 tablespoons light sour cream (plus extra for serving)
2 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 chicken stock cubes
2 cups of water
Salt and pepper
- Roughly chop all the vegetables.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan and saute onion and capsicum
- Add potato, broccoli and zucchini to saucepan and cook for 2 mins
- Add stock cubes and water, cover and bring to the boil
- Add salt and pepper
- Once boiling, stir and reduce to a simmer.
- Stir occasionally until vegetables are soft and beginning to break up.
- Remove from the heat and use a hand mixer to blitz to a smooth consistency. Add more water if the soup is too thick.
- Add sour cream and cheese and stir through. Heat through before serving.
- Fry bacon until crispy.
- Serve soup with a small dollop of sour cream in each bowl, top with bacon bits. Serve with hot crusty bread.
Have a lovely weekend. x