There’s something a little bit daggy about carrot cake…but ‘good daggy’ we think. We remember mum used to make this 70s classic quite a bit when we were younger, but we haven’t made one for years.
Anyway, we thought we might give it a go today. We’ve dug out a recipe and may even attempt the cute icing carrots on top. This picture is from the recipe, but we’ll be sure to add one of our version to our Facebook page later on when ours is out of the oven and cooled.
Carrot Cake with cream cheese frosting
4 (59g each) eggs, room temperature
1 1/4 cups (310ml) vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup (330g) caster sugar
2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
3 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup (100g) walnuts, coarsely chopped
3 cups (firmly packed) coarsely grated carrot (about 3 carrots)
Cream cheese frosting
250g unsalted butter, softened
250g pkt cream cheese, softened
500g icing sugar mixture, sifted
Finely grated rind of 2 lemons
2 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line base of tin of your choice (see notes). Whisk eggs, oil and vanilla in a jug until combined. Sift sugar, flour, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and 1/2 tsp salt into a bowl. Add oil mixture, walnuts and carrots, and stir to combine. Spoon into prepared tin, then bake on lowest shelf of oven for specified time (see notes) or until skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool cake in tin, then turn on to a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, for the icing, usuing an electric mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy. Add cream cheese and continue to beat until light and fluffy. Gradually add icing sugar mixture, then add lemon rind and juice and beat until well combined.
- Using a serrated knife, cut cake in half horizontally. Spread 1/3 the icing over base, then sandwich with top. Spread remaining icing over top. Serve.
Depending on which tin you choose, this recipe makes one large, two medium or six small cakes.
- One deep round 25cm round cake tin: preheat oven to 180°C and bake for 55 minutes, covering top of cake with baking paper after 30 minutes to prevent over-browning.
- Two deep 20cm round cake tins: Preheat oven to 180°C and bake for 45 minutes.
- Six 11cm springform tins: preheat oven to 180°C and bake for 25 minutes.
Have a lovely weekend and get baking. x.