Hi lovelies. Happy Friday! We hope you have something fab planned for your weekend. Today we are baking up a savoury storm in the lovely co. test kitchen – homemade sausage rolls. They are in the oven as we speak and smell mouth-wateringly good. You really should try them!
We must admit we saw these being made on an episode of Masterchef a couple of years back and tried them for ourselves not long after. We’ve made a couple of adjustments to the recipe though to make it a little simpler. We have cooked these up a f’ew times now and they are always tasty, especially with the obligatory tomato sauce.
But these aren’t your regular sausage rolls…for starters we’ve used real beef and pork mince, not the old ‘who knows what you’re getting’ sausage mince in a roll (ick). Secondly, there are some hidden vegies in there (see recipe below) that you can slip in past the kids. Finally, a sprinkling of sesame and poppy seeds on top adds a gourmet touch.
These make for a fun and yummy Friday night dinner or Saturday afternoon snack.
Homemade Sausage Rolls
1 tbs unsalted butter
1 large carrot, peeled, grated
1 tbs olive oil
1 small brown onion, finely chopped
Good shake of dried Italian herbs
2 garlic cloves, crushed
350g beef mince
350g pork mince
2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
4 sheets of ready rolled puff pastry, thawed
2 egg yolks, lightly whisked
Poppy and sesame seeds, to garnish
tomato or BBQ sauce, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add grated carrot and cook for until carrot starts to soften. Cover with a lid and cook for 4-5 minutes until very soft. Puree carrot mixture in a blender until smooth. Season to taste. Set aside to cool completely.
- Heat oil in frying pan over medium-high heat, then add onion, Italian herbs, garlic and a pinch of salt. Cook for 4-6 minutes or until onion has softened. Set aside to cool completely.
- Combine minces, ¼ cup of the carrot puree, onion mixture and breadcrumbs in a large bowl. Season with salt. Divide the mince mixture into 4 rough portions and shape into a 25cm log. Place pastry sheet onto a floured work surface put the sausage log across the closest edge of a pastry sheet. Roll to enclose mixture and then trim and discard excess pastry. Brush a little egg wash on the join to secure.
- Place sausage rolls on a lined baking rack, brush with egg wash and sprinkle evenly with seeds. Repeat with remaining pastry. Cook in the oven for about 25 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Slice rolls on an angle, about 2cm wide. Serve with either tomato or BBQ sauce.
As we finish typing this our rolls are just coming out of the oven.
Have a lovely weekend. x.